With the recent release of the movie Fifty Shades of Grey, I was extremely proud of the Church for taking such a strong stance on the importance of not allowing our minds to be polluted with this garbage. We did a great job with promoting the importance of purity as well as making noise to the dangers of treating women like this in relationships across the world. Christians did a great job with this event, and it's my hope to channel some of that energy to the dangers associated with an unhealthy relationship with sugar. Because if we're not careful, Fifty Shades of Sugar (an unhealthy, out of control, lustful relationship with sugar) will cause more destruction than Fifty Shades of Grey ever will in the Church. The health of our brains, hearts and muscular skeletal system in the Body of Christ are on the line.
Just this last weekend I was sitting in my church watching adults and kids walk around with 20 oz regular sodas, eating cakes, cupcakes and donuts. Now please hear me, there is nothing wrong with this on occasion. Sugar-sweetened foods are so good, and I encourage everyone to enjoy them. But nobody in the Body of Christ would ever say that losing control to a lust, and letting those feelings for that lust control their decision making is a Biblical. God calls us to live in the power of the Spirit in every area, including our sugar intake.
“Therefore, dear brothers and sisters, you have no obligation to do what your sinful nature urges you to do. For if you live by its dictates, you will die. But if through the power of the Spirit you put to death the deeds of your sinful nature, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.” Romans 8:12-14
If we are becoming, or have become numb to the dangers of sugar, we are right where Satan wants us to be with our health. Satan doesn't want the Church to take a stand against the dangers of sugar, his goal is to steal, kill and destroy, and he will do that by any means necessary. He wants you to believe thoughts like, "it's just one soda, it can't be that harmful" or "you don't have the discipline to eat healthy, you shouldn't even try" or "eating healthy is just for the fit people, and I'll never be one of those people." Thoughts like these are works from the enemy to stop the Body of Christ to living in optimal health daily. And if Satan and his demons are working to shift our thinking on a topic, there is always a reason. Satan and his demons will do anything to stop us from living in God's fullness, and data like this shows us how an unhealthy relationship with sugar is more dangerous than most of us realize:
- “Some animal studies show that sugar is eight times more addictive than cocaine,” says Dr. Mark Hyman, who’s been researching the effect of the sweet stuff on our systems for 20 years.
- A recent report published in the journal Nature linked sugar to 35 million deaths a year globally from diseases like diabetes, heart disease and cancer.
- Americans consume an average 152 pounds of sugar each year, much of it hidden in processed foods and sweetened drinks.
- The added sugar Americans consume as part of their daily diet can, on its own, regardless of other health problems, more than double the risk of death from heart disease, a new study from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has found.
- There are 600,000 processed foods in the marketplace, 80 percent of which have added hidden sugar.
- Recent research in a study published in the journal PLoS One where researchers took two groups of rats and let them choose between water sweetened with saccharine and intravenous cocaine. The results were stunning. A whopping 94 percent of the animals chose the sweetened water over cocaine. As if this weren't enough to astonish the researchers, they repeated the experiment using sucrose -- regular table sugar. The results were exactly the same.
- One serving of Prego tomato sauce has more sugar than a serving of Oreo cookies.
- Sweetened yogurts can have more sugar than a can of soda.
- A new study out in the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention reports that the more sugar-sweetened beverages a woman drinks, the greater her risk for endometrial cancer.
o Women who drank the most sugary drinks – more than four servings per week – had a 78% greater risk of developing estrogen-dependent type I endometrial cancer than women who drank none. Women who were older, had higher body mass index (BMI), a history of diabetes, later menopause, and any type of estrogen therapy also had a greater risk of developing endometrial cancer, which lines up with earlier research. But the connection between sugary drinks and estrogen-dependent endometrial cancer was there even regardless of body weight.
- Sugar is the core ingredient used by the food industry to make bad ingredients (processed flour and chemicals) taste good. Each year, the average American also consumes 133 pounds of white or wheat flour, which raises blood sugar more than table sugar (sucrose).
- According to the American Cancer Society each year, about 589,430 Americans die of cancer; around one-third of these deaths are linked to poor diet, physical inactivity, and carrying too much weight.
- The average American diet contains enough added sugar to increase the risk of heart-related death by nearly 20%. Source: JAMA Internal Medicine, Feb 3rd
We have to be on guard against these dangers just as much as we are with movies like Fifty Shades of Grey. There is a direct assault against the Church, and it comes in the form of little grains of sugar. We have to take a stand.
“So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” 1 Corinthians 10:31
We want to live in a way that no food or substance has control over us, and this is only possible when we walk fully in the Spirit. We want the children, our youth, and our lives to be free in Christ and not enslaved to anything. Let’s commit to leading in this by taking a proactive approach with the fuel we put in our bodies. Let's commit to advancing the Gospel with the healthiest bodies possible. In Christ we can do this. I hope you join me!
In Good Health,
Cody Bobay, NASM CPT, PES, CES
“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.” John 10:10